Wednesday, August 22, 2007

La Ciudad de México


This was the Squirrel Monkey in a pet store in Mexico City that I got to hold! Apparently it's legal to sell them here...

I'm not sure what this is called, but it's a cool building.

This is another view of the Zócalo and a large image of the Mexican flag formed from hanging cords.

A little history:
It is said that an Aztec god told the Aztecs that they were to settle where they saw an eagle land on a cactus while eating a snake, and so they did. The place was on an island in a lake called Lake Texcoco in the year 1325. This development eventually grew and became (with the "help" of the Spaniards) what we now know as Mexico city. The image on the Mexican flag is of an eagle eating a snake while perched on a cactus.


I went to Mexico City! This is the Zócalo, which is a big square in the center of town and from my experience usually has a church. Sometimes events are held in the Zócalo such as protests, native ceremonies and the sea of nude people which appeared in the National Geographic magazine a little while back.

1 comment:

mom said...

Hi Rachel! I love that little monkey! I have been checking your blog everyday and you updated your blog today and Charlie updated his too. love, mom